Donate to CTA

Community Tax Aid does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, and reprisal for previous civil rights activities. CTA will make every effort to provide reasonable accommodations to persons with physical disabilities, sensory loss, or limited English proficiency. These accommodations will be provided at no cost to the taxpayer.

  • Bring Social Security Cards for you and all your dependents.  You must provide ONE of the following items for each individual who has a social security number or ITIN:
    • Social Security Card, Social Security Statement [1099-SSA], or letter or notice from the Social Security Administration showing both SSN and name.
    • Federal Pension or Annuity Statement [1099-R]
    • ITIN letter or card [If you need to apply for an ITIN for you or your spouse, and live in Montgomery County, contact:
      If you do not live in Montgomery County, CARECEN at (202) 328-9799 for assistance.]
  • Bring your photo ID (and your spouse’s photo ID if filing a joint return)
  • List of birth dates for all individuals to be claimed on tax return
  • NEW: If you claim dependents on your tax return, also bring their income documents.
  • NEW: If  you purchased health insurance through the exchange/marketplace, bring form 1095-A.
  • All forms you might have received for doing work during the year.  These forms could be W-2, 1099MISC, or 1099-G (for unemployment compensation)
  • If you own your home, bring the amount of real estate taxes you paid.  You need this information even if you do not itemize.
  • All forms pertaining to retirement income, usually on a 1099-R
  • All information regarding Social Security payments received during the year
  • Any other income records (such as a statement from your bank showing the interest you received during the year)
  • Records of expenses for tax credits and deductions such as the name, address and taxpayer identification number of a child care provider
  • Records of student loan payments
  • Records of payments for educational expenses, such as college tuition
  • A copy of your prior-year tax return, if you have it.  This is very important if you itemized in last year.
  • If filing a joint return, both of you must be present to electronically file
  • If you want to receive your refund faster and/or would like to have it sent directly to your bank account so you don’t have to worry about a lost or stolen refund check:  bring an original or copy of a check, or contact your bank to get the routing number and account number.  If you only have a savings account, contact your bank to get the routing number and account number.
  • If you moved to a new state during the tax year, the date you moved to the new state.