Job Description: VITA Quality Reviewer
The Quality Reviewer serves as the technical tax expert for a tax site and is responsible for ensuring that all returns prepared meet the quality requirements of the IRS VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program. Quality Reviewers review each tax return completed by a volunteer, correct errors, and provide substantive tax knowledge and guidance to volunteers. The Quality Reviewer also assists the Site Coordinator in ensuring the efficient operation of the tax site.
Availability: Candidates should be available to work one or more of the following times: weekday evenings, Wednesday or Thursday mid-day, Saturday mornings, Saturday afternoons, or Sunday afternoons, from late January through mid-April. Additional hours during the week may be required at some sites to oversee the e-file process. Quality Reviewers are needed at several of our sites in Washington, DC and Prince George’s County MD.
Skills and Experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience preparing individual income tax returns or qualified CPA or Enrolled Agent with at least two-year’s individual income tax preparation experience for low-income taxpayers is required. Previous experience with volunteer low-income tax assistance programs preferred. Requires a detail oriented, organized, efficient, individual who is able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Quality Reviewers must complete special Quality Review training and the pass the IRS Volunteer tax preparer certification exam at the Advanced level. Training will be conducted in January.
Please indicate fluency in languages other then English in your cover letter.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and ensure return preparation quality at tax site
- Follow Community Tax Aid (CTA) and IRS site procedures.
- Support Site Coordinator with operational needs of the site. Help manage workflow, facilitate sign-in and intake of clients; ensure orderly and thorough screening process.
- Provide on-site tax expertise; answer tax volunteers’ preparation questions and assist with any tax-related issues.
- Ensure that each completed tax return is reviewed to ensure it is complete and accurate.
- Work with individual responsible for electronically filing returns to ensure procedures are followed and problems in rejected returns are corrected on a timely basis.
- Help manage supplies and materials from CTA and the IRS. Keep files and supplies organized; ensure necessary supplies are in place for each tax session. Help volunteers locate files, forms and supplies.
- Ensure security of confidential information.
- Ensure proper reporting and record keeping.
Position Classification: Non-Exempt Temporary/Seasonal. Position runs from late January through mid April.
To apply: Send letter of interest and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Tax Aid is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.