[Short cut to: first year preparer pre-training.]
Your expertise and time are vital to our organization: Volunteer with us
Volunteers like you are the core to our existence.
Every tax season, our volunteers share their skills and knowledge, serving families and individuals across the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area.
In 2015 alone, volunteers provided more than 13,000 hours of service which directly enabled clients to receive over $9.6 million in net federal and state refunds.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Read, speak and understand English proficiently (preparers must be fluent)
- Are patient, and able to understand and answer questions that clients may have
- Are comfortable working with diverse populations
- Can commit to one four-hour session per week from the end of January until April 18th
Special Volunteer Needs:
- Volunteers proficient in Spanish, Amharic, Chinese, French, Arabic, ASL, Tagalog
- Volunteers who live or work in DC’s Wards 7 or 8
- Volunteers available during the day on Wednesdays or Thursdays
Volunteer for the 2017 Tax Season:
If you have a questions about volunteering, check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
Ready to Volunteer? Click the links on the left for more information.
Other opportunities in metropolitan Washington, DC
If our volunteer locations, days, or times don’t fit your schedule, consider volunteering with one of these other local VITA programs:
Looking to Volunteer in another City or State?
- New York City: Community Tax Aid NYC.
- Philadelphia: Campaign for Working Families.
- Richmond: Metrocash
- Maryland, Virginia, and other states: Other programs.