Returning Preparer Requirements
Questions? Click here to view our volunteer FAQs.
Returning preparers are expected to certify at the advanced Level.
“What’s New and Tricky” covers tax law changes and reviews select tricky topics. For a more in depth review you can click here to register for tax law classes, click here to review recordings of select fundamental topics, or review Pub. 4491: VITA Training Guide.
Click here to Return to Registration and Training Page
- Step 1: Before registering for training, you must register as a Tax Preparer (don’t forget to update the number of years you have been a volunteer). Click here to register.
(click here if you need more details on site locations.)
- Step 2: Register for Preparer Training. Consult the table below to determine your training requirements. (Click here for calendar of training dates.)
- Step 3: Complete these 2 IRS exams online: (1) Volunteer Standards of Conduct and (2) Intake & Interview exam. (Click here for certification instructions.)
- Step 4: Complete Training (in class or self-study)
- Step 5: Take the IRS Advanced Exam.
- Step 6: After completing your tax law exam, print your volunteer agreement.
- Step 7: Attend site orientation (don’t forget your Volunteer Agreement and photo ID).
- Step 8: Volunteer!
|Training Requirements||Returning Preparers who did not certify at Advanced last year||Returning Preparers who did certify at Advanced last year|
IRS Volunteer Standards of Conduct Exam
Intake & Interview Training
IRS Intake & Interview Exam
Returning Preparer TaxWise
Required if you have not taken it before
What’s New & Tricky
Self Study Option*
Required if not taking What’s New and Tricky
Fundamentals of Review
*Self Study Option: This option is only available to preparers who either (a) have 3 or more years of volunteer tax preparation experience, or (b) certified advanced in the 2015 tax season. If you are choosing the self-study option instead of What’s New and Tricky, click here to register for the self-study option.
The 4012 and test booklet will be available at in-person trainings.
The following printed training materials will be available for pick up by contacting Community Tax Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org:
Questions? See our Volunteer FAQ
Return to Volunteer Training Page
Step By Step Training Registration:
- You will receive an email with the link to Tax Preparer Training classes.
- Click on the link in the email to see the list of classes. (Click here to see calendar list of classes.)
- You will see a list of classes sorted by date and time. To see all the dates a particular class is offered, click on “Event Name” to sort the list by class name.
- Select your class choice, then “Click Here to Register”
- Enter your email address and first name
- On the next screen enter your password (if you have not done so already, check your email for an email with your temporary password)
- Choose your first training class
- If you need to add another class, select your name in the drop down box (if you and your family member use the same phone number, you may see more than one name)
- Select the class from the list at the bottom of the page. (To use the search feature, use the search field at the bottom of the gray box)
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to see all of the events you are registered for. [If you and another family member are using the same email address, you will see the events for everyone using that email address.]
- To log, out, look for the “Logout” link at the top of the page