Community Tax Aid does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, and reprisal for previous civil rights activities. CTA will make every effort to provide reasonable accommodations to persons with physical disabilities, sensory loss, or limited English proficiency. These accommodations will be provided at no cost to the taxpayer.
Community Tax Aid prepares prior year and amended returns for taxpayers who meet our eligibility guidelines. See information below for more details.
- During tax season (February-April), Community Tax Aid sites generally only prepare prior year and amended returns during the month of March.
- Community Tax Aid also provides assistance with prior year and amended returns during May and June.
- For current tax preparation assistance information click here.
Prior year returns
- We will generally prepare prior year returns for the past three years. (We will only prepare older years if the IRS or state tax agency has specifically asked you to file.)
- During tax season (February -April 15) see the site list for specific information on which sites prepare prior-year returns and information on for which years they provide assistance.
- In order to prepare a prior-year return, you must have all the income documents for that year. For a complete list of documentation needed click here.
- We strongly suggest you obtain a wage and income transcript from the IRS to make sure you have the same income information that the IRS has.
- Federal (IRS) wage and income transcripts only show federal withholding. They do not show state withholding information. Without your original W-2s and 1099s we will not know how much state tax was withheld. If you had state tax withheld. We suggest you contact the payor to obtain original documents.
Please note that during tax season (February -April) we can generally only provide assistance with amending returns if we originally prepared the tax return. Click here for information on which sites provide assistance with amended returns.
- If a site is not busy, they may be able to provide assistance with amended returns that we did not prepare. Sites are generally less busy the 2nd two weeks of March and the first few week of April.
In order to prepare an amended return, you must bring:
- A copy of the original return.
- If you previously amended the return, we need a copy of the original and the amended return.
- We need to know the amount of refunds you have received, or payments you made, related to the return.
- If you are unsure of the amounts paid: