Donate to CTA

Who Qualifies for CTA’s Assistance:

Generally, we serve: individuals with income under $35,000*, and families with income under $54,000*.

*If you earned less than $64,000 in 2015, you may be able to file your federal and state tax returns on-line for free. For more information see:

Click here to see the list of what to bring.

Taxpayer Situations where we cannot prepare your return

  • You have an A, H, F, J, L, M or Q visa (and do not have a green card or US citizenship)
  • You did work for an international organization, or had income from overseas.
  • You moved to the United States during the tax year and does not have a green card or US citizenship
  • You are a minister or member of the clergy
  • You had a Health Savings Account
  • You were a member of the Military
  • You pay household help (household employment tax)

 Types of Income which are out of scope (we cannot prepare your return if you have any of these types of income)

  • Cancelled Debt (Form 1099-C or 1099-A); unless it was cancelled personal credit card debt, there was no interest, and you were not insolvment at the time the debt was cancelled.
  • Savings Bond if savings bond interest accrues each year
  • The following types of Capital Gains/Investment Income:
    • Sold a bond with accrued interest
    • 1099-DIV amounts with Unrecaptured Sec.1250 gain, Section 1202 gain, Cash liquidation distributions, and Noncash liquidation distributions
    • Sale of stock and basis is not listed on 1099, or was received as a gift.
    • Sale of property other than main home
    • K-1 income unless it is interest or dividend income, short or long term capital gains, or royalty income (only from a K-1).
  • IRA: If distribution was from SIMPLE IRA or SEP IRA
  • Farm income
  • Rental income (including renting out rooms in your own home- no Air B&B)
  • Self-Employment, business or cash income where:
    • You business is a LLC
    • The Primary source of income is use of your vehicle (example: Uber, Lyft, etc.)
    • hobby income
    • expenses over $25,000
    • net loss, or loss carry over
    • inventory, or sale of goods
    • employees, subcontractors
    • business use of home
    • casualty losses
    • vehicle expenses if reporting actual expenses
    • depreciation
    • rental or lease agreements for other than space
    • you do not use cash method
  • 1099-MISC income that is not reported in boxes 3 or 7
  • Hobby income
  • Itemized Deductions
    • Casualty and Theft Losses
    • Non-cash charitable (Goodwill, etc.) contributions greater than $500 (Form 8283)
    • Vehicle donation
    • Unreimbursed employee business expenses (Form 2106)

Community Tax Aid does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, and reprisal for previous civil rights activities. CTA will make every effort to provide reasonable accommodations to persons with physical disabilities, sensory loss, or limited English proficiency. These accommodations will be provided at no cost to the taxpayer.